Since the leaked Supreme Court opinion striking down abortion rights first surfaced, KSQD talk hosts have been covering the issue from a variety of angles. Check out the episodes below and check back as we add to this debate with more thoughtful conversation.
- Comprehensive healthcare includes abortion care – June 6, 2022
Host Suki Wessling explores the medical side of abortion, starting with what the phrase “for the life or health of the mother” means in real life and moving to the downstream effects of abortion care for all.
- Taking Heart as Roe V Wade Falters with Bettina Aptheker – June 13, 2022
Host Christine Barrington interviews UCSC Distinguished Professor Emerita Bettina Aptheker to solicit her insights on the rapidly deteriorating right to choose in the United States.
- Abortion Stigma: The Root of Healthcare Confusion – July 4, 2022
Host Suki Wessling looks at the social side of abortion with three health professionals who trace the stigma against talking about abortion to negative health outcomes for women.
- Women’s Bodily Autonomy: From Midwifery to Abortion – August 1, 2022
Hosts Suki Wessling and Christine Barrington speak with two midwives who were arrested for their work. They lived through the time when women had no rights to their own bodies, and their fight still resonates today.
How a Republican Grandfather Helped Legalize Abortion, August 7, 2022Sustainability Now! Host Ronnie Lipschutz speaks with Dr. Caroline Tracey, whose June 18th essay in the San Francisco Chronicle recounted the historical relationship between Republicans, environmentalism and abortion.
- August 7, 2022, 5 pm: How a Republican Grandfather Helped Legalize Abortion with Dr. Caroline Tracey.
- August 29, 2022, 5 pm: Hosts Suki Wessling and Christine Barrington lead a panel discussion on religious views of abortion.