Legacy gifts ensure that we can continue our mission of building community through broadcasting, podcasting and local events that celebrate the uniqueness of our region.
There are many ways to give to community radio. KSQD accepts cash, gold, stocks, bonds, property deeds, vehicles, time and food. If you have something more complicated in mind– real estate, stocks, IRA distributions, or bequests— please let our treasurer, Mathilde Rand know. (831) 900-5773
A Gift in Your Will or Living Trust: Charitable Bequests
A bequest is a wonderful way to leave a legacy of community radio support for generations to come. If you would like to designate KSQD/Natural Bridges Media in your will or living trust, you can use this template letter for your attorney.
Sample bequest language for your attorney:
“I give [describe dollar amount or percentage of estate residue] to Natural Bridges Media/KSQD, a California not-for-profit corporation, for its general purposes. KSQD’s primary office is located at 399 Encinal Street, Santa Cruz, California, 95060.
KSQD’s Federal Tax I.D. Number is: 82-4627723
KSQD’s legal name is: “Natural Bridges Media/KSQD”
You can make a gift (bequest) to KSQD through your will or living trust in the following ways:
- A percentage of the residue of your total estate — In using this approach, your gift adjusts with changes in the size of your estate.
- A gift of a specific amount.
Donate Stock through KSQD’s Vanguard Brokerage Account
You can donate stocks to KSQD and. It’s tax-deductible. Here’s how:
KSQD Stock Transfer Instructions
Click Here for more information on stock donations.
Qualified Charitable Contributions: A Tax-free gift from your IRA (aka Charitable IRA Rollover)
If you are 70½ or older, you can make a tax-free gift directly to KSQD from your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) now and for years to come. It’s a smart way to enjoy tax savings and support the mission of KSQD to create community through broadcasts, podcasts and events. Here’s how it works:
- What? You can give up to $100,000 per year from your IRA.
- Who? You must be 70½ or older to make a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) to KSQD.
- How? Instruct your IRA custodian to send a specific dollar amount directly to KSQD. (You cannot withdraw the funds yourself.) KSQD’s tax I.D. number is: 82-4627723. Our nonprofit’s name is Natural Bridges Media.
- When? Your gift must be completed on or before December 31 in order to count towards your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) for the calendar year. For those using an IRA checkbook, please remember: the date of the gift is when KSQD receives the funds in our account, not when the check is postmarked. To avoid penalties for not taking your full RMD, be certain that checks from an IRA checkbook are sent in plenty of time to clear within the calendar year.
Benefits to You:
- RMDs. Your donation will count towards your RMD for the current year. Note that as of January 1, 2020, individuals must start taking RMDs at age 72. (Those who turned 70½ in 2019 must still take RMDs in 2019, 2020 and beyond).
- Tax Savings. You can exclude up to $100,000 of this gift from your federal gross income — resulting in lower taxable income and possible tax savings (A $200,000 exclusion may apply for taxpayers who are married and filing a joint return).
Tip: This tax savings is especially valuable to donors who are non-itemizers and donors who have reached their limit on itemized charitable deductions.
Your IRA custodian can send the gift by check or electronic transfer. You can contact KSQD for a sample letter of instruction. Please let us know of your charitable intentions so we can ensure your gift is processed in an accurate and timely manner.