On Thursday, January 7th, 2021, Speaker of the US House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi called General Mark Milley, Chair of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, to express her concern about outgoing President Donald Trump’s potential ability to launch a nuclear strike prior to the Inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden. This would not be a concern if the United States signed and ratified the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, which goes into force on Friday, January 22, 2021. Join host Ronnie Lipschutz to hear more about the continuing threat of nuclear weapons, the treaty and what we can do, and hear three interviews with expert activists who are engaged with the campaign to abolish nuclear weapons from the face of the Earth.
Here are some resources to learn more about the nuclear threat.
- Physicians for Social Responsibility: https://www.psr.org/
- Acronym Institute for Disarmament Diplomacy: http://acronym.org.uk/
- Sola Gakkai International: https://www.sgi-usa.org/tag/nuclear-abolition/
- Arms Control Association: https://www.armscontrol.org/
- Federation of American Scientists: https://fas.org/
- Women’s International League for Peace & Freedom: https://www.wilpf.org/
- UN Office for Disarmament Affairs: https://www.un.org/disarmament/
- Fred Kaplan, Wizards of Armageddon
- Dan Ellsberg, The Doomsday Machine
- Helen Caldicott, Nuclear Madness
- Nukemap: https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
- Back from the Brink—Prevent nuclear war.org: https://preventnuclearwar.org/