Special thanks to Ann Simonton for squid hats!
Here are some highlights of recent happenings in the KSQD-FM radio project:
1. Natural Bridges Media incorporates in December to file for radio license from F.C.C.
2. Natural Bridges Media will file this week (March 15, 2018) for federal tax exempt status. Thanks to Mathilde Rand for the heavy lifting on all this paperwork and to Ned Hearn for legal assistance.
3. Interim board members elected: Rachel Anne Goodman, Chair, Ned Hearn, Vice-Chair, Jean Kratzer, Treasurer, Linda Burman-Hall, Secretary. Governance Committee (Ned, Rachel) will seek board members to fill out board.
4. Goal for studio build/startup fund is $80,000. Crowdfunding and by check donations continue to be accepted. See “donate” section of our website.
5. Signing of Asset Purchase Agreement by Natural Bridges Media and Fiscal Sponsor Media Watch with Educational Media Foundation will set into motion F.C.C. application, call-letter assignment and contract negotiations with UCSC on tower lease. Payment of $265,000 due on closing of deal contingent on F.C.C. approval and tower lease negotiation. Expected timeline, 90 days from application filed.
6. Facilities Committee chair, Sandy Stone, with help from contractor Tim Shea create preliminary designs for studio, tentatively to be located at 399 Encinal. Contract negotiations underway with County Office of Education to assume tenancy under very favorable terms, with the agreement to provide training and airtime to students from S.C.
7. Janet Croteau, organizer of Songwriter Salons donates proceeds of March 30 event to KSQD-FM. Click here for tickets.
9. Program Committee names Susan Freeman chair and initiates application process. Current talley: 67 applications, more coming in.
10. Expected tentative: on-air date, mid-June. (these things always take longer than expected).